A small leak or excess water always leads to trouble in every home. It may destroy electronics, causes slips and accidents, ruin carpeting, clothing, or furniture, and promote the growth of mold – which, by the way, is another huge problem. In most cases, molds can be addressed easily; however, if it’s been ignored for a period of time, it might require professional assistance to be resolved.
What Happens After Water Damage
The damage left by a burst pipe, flood, or leaky roof may not be huge, but that doesn’t that you should stop worrying as this may result in a mold problem. After all, it only takes a small amount of water or moisture to grow and start spreading easily. Mold spores exist everywhere and it doesn’t need much to grow. Humid, moisture, and “organic” food – such as wood – are enough for it to survive. Other porous organic materials that contribute to the growth of these fungi include paper product, drywall, paint, and insulation. The worst part is that it won’t take a long time for the mold to develop and start wrecking your property; in fact, it only needs 48 hours to become visible and damaging.
The good news is: there are still a couple of things you can do to remove mold, or at least eliminate, the moisture or humid before the mold develops. To start with, you need to know two things: 1. how long does it take for the mold to grow and 2. how soon will it damage your walls, ceiling, and household items.
Under ideal condition (which means there are moisture and organic food), it takes only 24 to 48 hours for the mold to grow and spread. For the mold to populate, it only needs 3-12 days and 18-21 days to become visible. However, this may vary according to the types of mold and the things present in your home, such as the amount of moisture present, the types of surfaces and materials nearby, temperature, etc. Nonetheless, the longer it is neglected, the bigger the chance for the mold to grow and germinate.
Mold growth is a big problem and it requires only a few hours to spread. As soon as the mold spore settles on a moist or wet area and feeds of the organic food found on the porous surface, it spreads and damages the material it is attached to. Since it is light, it is airborne and emits thousands of spores that colonize the entire property. Therefore, it’s important to act as fast as you can to dry your home or office. This is the only thing you can do to prevent the mold from infecting your property.
Meanwhile, there are other ways on how you can keep the mold from growing after water infiltration, such as:
- Extract excess water and open the door and window in your home or office. This will let the air flow and dry the premise. Make sure that you will put extra attention to areas or materials that won’t dry easily, such as under the carpet padding, inside wall cavities, or behind the baseboards.
- Some areas just can’t be dried on your own. In this case, you might need to contact a professional drying service to attend to other hidden spots in your home. These technicians come with the right tools and strategies on how to eliminate water and moisture that may be left behind. Asking for their assistance is crucial to prevent further damage such as mold growth.